Monday, March 19, 2012

Courage Award

WOW, these past 2 weeks have been hectic to say the least. So lets get on it and update you guys on this thing I call life.

So on March 8th most of you know I was honored (among other amazing people) at the Heart of Champions Gala put on by the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan. It is a fund raiser for the hospital they put on every year. I had attended it once a few years ago, not receiving and award just supporting a hospital that has given me so much. Anyways this was a crazy day because the night before I had just gotten home from driving 16 hours in one day. We arrived home at 1:30am and I was exhausted but naturally couldn't sleep to save my life that night. Back to the day of, I did the girl stuff you do on days you are going to a formal event. Bought my shoes, make up, and nail polish last minute, got my hair did and waxed the furry things I call eye brows. Once I was all prettied up, my momma was looking HOTT, and Jman was looking like a dapper gentleman we were off to the Fox Theatre. That meant yet another hour in the car just to get there, ugh. But we arrived in one piece ready for a great night.

Now I should take this time to express one of the biggest battles I face when getting dressed up. Shoes. It is a severe love hate relationship with me and shoes. I see shoes all the time I LOVE and wish I could own but because of my contracture type thing on my right ankle, meaning my right foot is constantly pointing down and the ankle rolls. So when buying shoes I have to take this into consideration. That being said I have a weakness for heels, I just love them and since being paralyzed I haven't found one pair that work for me. They fall off my foot plate, cause both ankles to roll and look like they are about to snap, and instantly cause my knees to act like repelling magnates, but I continue to buy them. Needless to say I had this problem with the banging heels I bought for the gala. Hopefully someday I/someone will make a foot plate that will make all these problems disappear and give heels back to all wheelchair girls.

Back to the gala we arrived I had some shoe problems of course and had to tie my legs together with rope (something I always do when wearing a skirt/dress with heels, don't want to give anyone the money shot for free). Some of my trainers where there along with all kinds of important hospital people. Began to eat and wow the food was great! I couldn't stuff my face though because I was getting ready to go on stage and can't have a bloated belly on stage. We went back stage to await receiving our awards. I actually enjoyed the backstage part a lot because I got a chance to chat with Brendan (a detroit firefighter paralyzed on duty, also receiving the courage award). I hadn't had the chance to chat with him much at therapy and I always love getting to know other patients, we have such amazing stories that I love hearing. They showed my video, made fun of me for being a Buckeye fan and then presented me with the award. I took the time to thank my therapists for all they have done and how much love I have for the program/hospital. Finished the night with some yummy dessert and then made the long trip back.

The night flew by way too fast. I completely enjoyed myself and felt so honored to be recognized for living a life I love living so much. Thank you DMC.

The shoes were behaving here.

Brendan receiving his award

No comments:

Post a Comment