Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Little Bit of Good News Can Go a Long Way

Since my past couple of posts have been a bit on the sad side I have decided to update you all on some really great news. I have been meaning to let you all know about this but I have been very poor at posting this year so far. Anyways, many of you know that I have been taking a bone density shot every morning for the last year and half. I am on this because I have osteoporosis and it was pretty severe, meaning we needed an aggressive treatment. The scale for T scores is -1-(+4) is considered normal, -1-(-2.5) is osteopenia, and -2.5-(-4) is osteoporosis. My score was -3.2, so you can see why it was so urgent to fix the problem because breaking a leg in a wheelchair means surgery and more hardware being placed in your body to stabilize. Like I posted in the past it was a complete shock that my bones were in such a bad state because since I was injured I have been doing all the "right"things. Therapy, standing, calcium, and lots of milk but for whatever reason bone loss happens more severely in some people in chairs than others.



Now, with that background, on to the good news! At the end of last month I went and finally had my bone density retested. Going into the test I had decided if the scores didn't change then I was quitting the medicine because it is a medication that is a pain in the ass. The test is quick and painless, you just lay on a board and a machine scans you like an x-ray machine. We asked the technician what the scores were and to my surprise my score was up to -2.6!!!! That is HUGE! Gaining that much bone mass back in such a short amount of time is incredible! I have almost reversed my osteoporosis! I know a lot of exclamations but this is a big deal because at one time it was thought that you couldn't rebuild bone mass. I am so happy to finally have some good news and know that stabbing myself every morning for the last 18 months wasn't for nothing! So I have 6 months left on Forteo and I have made it my goal that come August I will be in osteopenia and have fully reversed the osteoporosis!

No comments:

Post a Comment