Thursday, August 22, 2013

Some Corrections of the Media Stories

So after all the media coverage I have had a sudden urge to write a bunch of blogs. Hopefully this means I will finally get my act together and write weekly like I intended in the beginning. Anyways I felt this topic was the most urgent to be covered and so I am writing it first.

As many know, the media tends to take a story and run with it. Well that is definitely what has happened with our story. While many of the sources have reported our story mostly correct. I have found there are quite a few glaring issues with their facts. First and foremost, my best friend Charlie Fackelman was not the driver that night. He was a passenger in the vehicle and he was the one who lost his life that horrible night. I am not sure who reported it incorrectly first but I have seen in most articles that they have him as the driver. He was not, just a passenger.

Secondly, and I have only seen this on facebook but Jared and I did not meet while I was in the hospital. We met while we were visiting the lovely Brianna Mullinger in the hospital. Our romance started 4 years after my accident.

And finally, I feel like many of the stories have failed to add that although I walked down the aisle I still use my chair 100% of the time. The only reason I was able to walk was with the aid of full length leg braces (KFOs). They lock at my knee and I require the walker to help hold me up. It is incredibly difficult to do and I wouldn't be able to use the braces anywhere other than controlled situations or special occasions. I have spent the last 6 1/2 years working my ass off at therapy to achieve what I did on August 10th. I wanted to clear this up because I have received many facebook messages from newly injured people wondering if they will walk again, like I did, but in reality I can't walk. I am still paralyzed and still require a chair always. Not to take hope away from those who may have the chance to walk. I have seen many people regain some form of function. But my reality is a chair, well until these scientists get their acts together and figure out a cure.

Also, just because I am living my life from a wheelchair it obviously doesn't mean I won't live a long full filling life. I am pursuing my dreams of becoming a counselor, I plan to have a family (with at least 3 children), and finally I married an amazing man who brings nothing but joy to my life every single day. These are all things I thought would never happen while I was laying in the hospital days after the accident but with hard work I made my life into the perfect life I dreamed of.

I hope this clears things up for some and answers some questions. Well look for the next installment!!!

2 comments:

  1. What you have accomplished is nothing short of incredible. I am sure you have inspired many people with your work ethic and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen you work your ass off and I know how hard it was to walk down that aisle. I was trying to be able to do the exact same thing for my daughter's wedding, but didn't have enough time working with the KFOs to do it so I settled on using a chair that stands you up. I borrowed it from a friend at therapy.

    The media can be misleading by saying you're walking down the aisle because new sci's think that they will actually walk again. As you stated, some may actually recover completely and that's great for them. The fact is until some of these stem cell trials prove to be successful in humans, the chair will be our friend for quite awhile.

    Great job and keep after your dreams.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete