Saturday, November 19, 2011

FREE HUGS!

So very often I get asked what is the thing you miss most from when I was abled bodies (not as gracefully put, but that is the general idea). This question is always one of my favorites because for a second I feel like I have a chance to remind someone to be thankful for the ability they have. And well my answers always seem to be different, because honestly each day there seems to be something I miss more than another. My typical response is usually missing softball, walking up stairs, going to the bathroom. But after the last time I was asked this I took some time to really reflect on what I truly miss most and I think I have finally come up with the answer. That would be hugging, ugh I miss that connection so much. On a horrible day there is nothing like a long embrace from a loved one that melts away all the bad. Sure I can still give hugs and I do as much as possible. But once again it just isn't the same. To be able to fall into someone's arms when I feel like my whole world is crashing down is the prefect remedy to make that moment simple and easy. It is amazing to see how often people hug and all the different occasions. Meeting new people, reuniting with old friends, bad days, exciting days, saying hello, saying goodbye, and just about everything in between is an occasion that requires a hug. Each time these occasions happen I watch people hesitantly go in for a hug with me and of course a hug period is wonderful to me. However generally a hug for me is pretty awkward because people don't know if I am fragile or not sure how to stratal the wheelchair. Just take note in knowing that I love my hugs so don't be shy, just not too rough because I am a little fragile. I don't want to go on and on about this subject just a little food for thought. Another instance where I hope to open the eyes of some to how lucky they are to have what they have. I am one who is extremely happy for what I am blessed with but someday when I am back on my feet everyone better watch out. I will be a hugging machine :)

-also a little side note, it is said that a person needs that type of human contact a hug provides to feel loved and whole. So give someone you love a hug today.

No comments:

Post a Comment