Friday, July 22, 2011

Light Bulb

A light bulb, a very common simple household appliance. It is never noticed until the day it burns out. In that case you just run down to the hardware store grab a new one, go home unscrew the dead one and quickly replace it with the new. Seems like a simple enough task. This is one of the many mindless tasks that some many people think nothing about and quite frankly think of more as a hassle than anything else. But for me replacing a light bulb is near impossible. Being in this chair all I can do is sit and look at the burnt out bulb wondering how can I replace this. The simplest way is to call someone and have them do it for me, but no one can ever know how much I hate having to do that. So I sit and think of solutions of how I can do this simple little task. Because I so badly want to feel like an independent person again. I want to know that if it came do to it I could I really survive if I had no one.

 After some creative thinking I grab the grabber(one of the best inventions ever), some tape and pray it will work. Placing a piece of tape on each side of the claws of the grabber, I get a firm grip on the bulb begin to attempt to screw the bulb in but realize I can't put the force needed, adjust my hands and drop the bulb. About twenty attempts later I finally get the bulb in place but now it won't work. Figures. Few more attempts and more broken bulbs I finally get so frustrated I start to cry and scream because all I want to do is screw in a light bulb for crying out loud and it shouldn't be so hard! But it is and now here I am in my bathroom crying because of all the pain I feel from sitting in this chair everyday has over taken my body. I swear at god asking why do I have to go through this?! Why can't I just do this one simple dumb task like I could just 5 short years ago?! Then come the heavier questions like will this ever get easier? Do I have to do this for the rest of my life? Because at that very moment I don't feel like I can survive a life in a chair forever. Twenty minutes go by of tears and raw pain and I pull myself together knowing this is a small moment in my life. I have overcome so much and I can't let a small thing like a light bulb break my spirit.

Even though I can usually fight through these moments that seem to happen everyday, just not always with such an intense emotional reaction, it doesn't make them any easier to experience. I want so badly to see a task in front of me and be able to accomplish it. No matter how small the task is. Now I know there is some way that I can accomplish every failed task I attempt. But it is just so damn frustrating that I even have to problem solve with every little thing.

Hopefully most of you have caught on by now (at least I hope you have) this isn't about not being able to screw in a light bulb this is about feel like a helpless individual. Feeling so dependent all the time is one of the worst feelings in the world. Especially for me being/wanting to be an independent person. Knowing that there will be moments where I just need help is what makes living is this chair so hard. I used to be able to look at anything in front of me and have the complete confidence I could accomplish it, but now I  am always questioning can I actually do it? And I have to accept there will be times the answer is no. I guess what don't kill us makes us stronger and by my life experiences I must be one tough cookie because there have been countless times I have thought I am never going to survive this.

What I hope you can take away from this blog is never again taking your independence (no matter how much or how little) for granted. I don't, the independence I have I treasure. Please don't feel bad for me, because I have a great life, it is harder than I would like sometimes but I know for a fact I am not alone in that battle.

4 comments:

  1. this is a wonderful comparrison of what is easy for one and impossiably difficult for another. You have come leaps and bounds and I always think of you and talk about you with pride and love. No one shoud ever have to go through what you have but you have done it with grace and pride, youre amazing and I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually brought tears to my eyes, but not because i feel sorry for you, but because everything you said is so very true! I take so much for granted in my life and reading this opened my eyes. I am proud of you, and i can honestly say you are someone i truly admire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support you guys :) It is amazing how different life can be for some many people and how much we all take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have spent the last 2-3 hrs. reading your blog. This one brought me to tears. You...you are such an amazing person. So brave to share your challenges, frustrations, and times of sadness. I am just amazed at how every post has a lesson and how you always end your entries on a positive note. You are an inspiration. I hope you realize and always remember how truly remarkable you actually are.

    ReplyDelete