Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Planes.

Flying can be a dreadful experience for just about anyone but there is a small added stress when you are in a chair. Because as most people don't think about the aisle ways in an airplane are too small for any normal everyday wheelchair to fit through. So they have special helpers called aisle chairs, which are the smallest little chairs that make even the tiniest person look like a giant. One of the perks of being in a chair and boarding an airplane is we board first. So at the end of the terminal is usually some young college kids and the aisle chair waiting to transport me on to the plane. Most times the attendants have to call and find an aisle chair first because, even though I requested one when I booked the ticket and checked in, the aisle chair is not there. After waiting I get strapped in and hauled onto the plane. My chair gets stored with the checked luggage and the rest of the plane boards. Now after the flight lands is the part that kind of sucks, I now have to wait for the entire plane to exit before I can get off. So this is a note for you people who take forever to get off the plane MOVE IT because I want off the plane and have to wait for you! Lol. The plane empties and the new young kids come looking for some old lady to take to her chair and pretty much are always shocked to see a young girl waiting for them. They strap me I again and off we go to reunite me with Wanda (my wheelchair's name).

Usually this experience ranges from not so bad to pretty frustrating, but this last trip was a great experience. So I am highly suggesting to fly Southwest if you are in a chair and if possible. They had tags all ready to put on my chair so if for whatever reason it was lost we could identify it as mine. The aisle chair was there and since Southwest doesn't have assigned seating they saved the first three seats for us and it was so open that I didn't have to use the aisle chair to get off the plane, just pulled Wanda right into the cabin and off I went. It was awesome and not even a little bit stressful. Plus everyone was amazingly friendly, you can check up to 2 bags free per passenger, and the plane was very clean. In all the flight here with Southwest was so nice and made is vacation start off the right way. Now I am off to enjoy this hot sun and just relax! 

P.S. You can only book Southwest tickets on their website, they are cheap too.
http://www.southwest.com/

1 comment:

  1. Yay for an awesome experience!!! Do tell the story behind your chairs name?? :)

    ReplyDelete